Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

I'm taking a break from the updates to show you a fun project that Logan and I did together. It didn't take long and the result is pretty darn cute if I do say so myself. I was recently given this awesome spider web doily/lace thingamajig and thought it would look spooktacular on my kitchen table but, it needed something more.
Logan and I decided that we would make some awesome spiders. I didn't really want to spend any money on the project so I went in to my craft bin to see what I could find. I wanted our spiders to be cute and big. Here is what I came up with.
Grab a couple Styrofoam eggs (any size), acrylic paint, paint brushes, pipe cleaners, googly eyes and a hot glue gun. Choose the color you want to paint the "body" of your spider. I chose black and Logan chose blue.
After they dried we snipped pipe cleaners in half and poked 4 of each on each side of the Styrofoam egg. I just shoved them in as far as they would go but leaving enough leg left to bend in to the shape I wanted.
I grabbed one of Logan's Mercer Mayer books as I wanted to model our spiders after the spider that is on each page of his books. My camera battery died during the assembly phase so I wasn't able to capture any more of the process. After all of the legs were bent we hot glued large googly eyes on to the body. Here is our finished product. We had a lot of fun doing this together!

2 comments:

I would love, love, love for you to leave your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog.

~ Erin McG