Tuesday, October 28, 2008

LU Homecoming 2008

Scott and I had been planning to go to Liberty's homecoming for months. We booked our hotel room and we were really looking forward to getting out of town for a few days and to reminiscing about our college years and all the memories we made together and with our friends at LU.
We left after Scott got off work on Friday night and arrived at the Wingate around 9 PM. This was Logan's first stay in a hotel room and we weren't quite sure how it was going to work. We brought his pack n' play along and set it up in the room. I nursed him, bathed him and got him ready for bed while Scott unloaded the car. We turned the lights off in the room and waited. Poor Scott couldn't take the boredom and decided to go drive around campus while I did my best to soothe Logan to sleep. He finally drifted off at about 10:30.
Sleep was rough that night. I don't do well in different beds. I think knowing how many hundreds of people had slept in that bed and on those bedsheets before me played tricks with my mind :). Anyhow, we were up early the next morning to meet some friends of mine/old co-workers from the days when I worked as a teller at One Valley Bank the first year Scott and I were married. I've kept in touch with 3 of them since working there back in '99-'00. Scott, Logan and I met two of them for breakfast that morning at Country Cookin' in Madison Heights, VA. It was so wonderful to see them and share a meal together and catch up. Here is a picture of Tracy (she was an account representative) and her little boy Seth, Logan and I. Seth is just 2 months younger than Logan.

After breakfast Scott and I headed to the LU bookstore. We both wanted to get some new Liberty parafanalia. I was in the corner of the store looking around and I hear a voice call out "Erin". I look up and it's Jamie Holmberg McCollum. She is/was a friend of mine and hall mate from my LU days. I had not seen her in almost 10 years (although we are friends on facebook and I keep up with her fabulous blog). She looked absolutely beautiful and it was so wonderful to see her and hear her voice again. I also got to meet her hubby and a couple of their close friends. We visited for a little while in the store and made plans to meet at La Caretta for lunch. Here is a picture of the crew having lunch together. It was a wonderful time of fellowship and it really did renew my soul.

After lunch we took Logan back to the hotel room for a nap. Scott stayed with him while I made a return to the bookstore and a stop at Dorm 33. Years ago my mom babysat a little girl named Jessica. She is now a Sophmore (Junior by credits) at LU and lives in Dorm 33. I called her up and asked her if I could stop by for a visit. I haven't seen her in 15-16 years. It was great to catch up in person and see where she lives. I remember when I was a Junior at LU and Dorm 33 was brand new and everyone wanted to live there because it was the newest dorm on campus. It was neat to finally see it in person after all these years.
It had been raining most of the day but the sun decided to make an appearance right before the football game. Scott and I had wanted to go but had been convinced it was going to rain most of the day. I went ahead and made plans to meet my freshman year roommate Amy for coffee that afternoon. Last time I saw Amy it was at homecoming 2 years ago and I was 6 weeks pregnant and super nauseous. She recently got married (this past May) and I really wanted to meet her hubby and catch up with her. So we decided to forego the football game for something much, much better... time with Amy, Derek and some yummy Starbucks coffee. Amy looked even more beautiful than I remembered, if that's possible, and her husband Derek was so nice and I loved meeting him. Here are a couple pics from our time together.


That night we met up with Jamie, Daniel and their friends Ryan and Ashley for dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings and more reminiscing.

Sunday we had a yummy breakfast at the hotel, took in some breathtaking views...

and then packed up the car. Here is Logan having fun on the luggage cart...

We stopped and picked Jessica up at her dorm and took her to lunch at Cracker Barrel. We had a great time hearing about her schedule and all the new things that are happening at LU. When we brought her back to campus we decided to let Logan run around the intramural field to get him nice and tired for our trip back home.

Jessica, Logan and I



All in all it was a fantastic weekend. Thanks especially to Jamie, Daniel, Ryan and Ashley for treating us like family and inviting us out with you guys. You all really made our weekend and to Jessica for putting up with our stories about "the olden days of LU".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, love for you to leave your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog.

~ Erin McG