Some of you know that back in June my sister Laura and her family lost their home and all their earthly belongings in a fire. Photo albums, Christmas decorations, videos from when her 3 boys were babies, toys, clothes... all of it gone. She has been dreading the holidays coming with being in a rental home and not having any of her special decorations that she's had since she was a girl or that she's been collecting over the years. When we were all very young my mother made us all stockings from scratch. She cut the pattern, put our names on them and included a Christmas tree on each, decorated with colored glass beads and sequins. She also put little items on there that were unique to each of us. For me, I had a love of shoes at an early age so she made a small black patten leather shoe, Laura loved to twirl her hair and suck her thumb so she made a small pillow out of felt and tied a lock of Laura's hair on the pillow. We all still love our stockings and they mean so much to us. I still hang mine on the fireplace each year and made one for Scott right before we got married.
Well the Lord brought to mind the fact that Laura had lost her stocking in the fire. I asked my mom if she would be willing to help me make Laura and her 3 boys new stockings. She thought that was a wonderful idea. She came with her sewing machine in tow and we sat and planned what each stocking would receive. We shopped and got to work on Thursday. We worked from sun up until late into the night every day. She even had to extend her stay by one day so we could get them all complete. We had so much fun "bedazzling" all the stockings and making them unique for each boy (Austin 11, Jacob 8 and Jonathon, 3) and for Laura. We finished the last stocking at 11:30 PM on Monday night. We were so proud of ourselves and couldn't wait to give them to Laura.
Once my mom got home she invited Laura over and told her she had something for her from us. Mom called me on Skype and I was able to watch Laura open her stockings. She broke in to tears and said it was the best day she's had since the day before the fire took place. I am so thankful to the Lord for giving my mom and I that time together. It is a memory I will have for a lifetime. I'm also thankful that the stockings were a blessing to Laura and her boys. Praise the Lord! Here are pictures of each stocking. Enjoy!
(** I'm in the process of working on Logan's stocking now. Once finished I will post a picture of it**)
Wow that is such an heartfelt story...I miss my stocking too its sad I can remember it so well but yet can't remember the last time I saw it and I think about it every year.
ReplyDeleteThings from the heart are the best!!Thats such a blessing for you and Mom to do such a blessing yet receive such a blessing as well.God is Good.