Praise the Lord that I am a work in progress and this happens to be an area of my life that He has done an overhaul on. I hated feeling that way and knew it wasn't right. I didn't know where or how to begin to make the change. He who began a good work in you in faithful to complete it. Phil 1:6.
Having children has given me the best possible lesson in priorities that I could have ever hoped for. Those who have kids know how difficult it can be to plan play dates, time with friends or visits from family because everyone is SO busy these days. Spontaneity has become my best friend. Letting go and opening my arms to family and friends on a whim is more freeing than I could ever express in to words. Know that people love us and want to just be with US and that they haven't come to inspect the cleanliness of my house is amazing. It was also helpful to look internally at my motives for going to other peoples homes. I wasn't there with my white glove to see how dusty their house was. I was there to love them and enjoy their company and friendship. If I expected them to believe and trust in my motives, then I best do the same in return.
So, if you are in my neck of the woods feel free to pop in. I can't guarantee my toilet will be clean or that the multitude of cereal on my family room floor will be swept up, but I can offer a cup of coffee, some fellowship, my children being silly and crazy and plenty of love.
After attempting, for the better part of a year, to visit with my bestie of 29 years, we finally made it happen. I texted her on Sunday and asked if me and my kiddos could come the following day and she said, with no hesitation, YES! How awesome is that? It's examples like this that continues to teach me what life is all about and that being so open to having people in to your home is one of the greatest, most selfless acts of love.
It seems in this stage of both of our lives, that doing things spur of the moment is what works. I just love the idea that we didn't let life, the cost of gas, dirty houses (even though hers was fantastic, as always), or hot weather get in our way. We just did it. It was relaxing, enjoyable and the fact that I can be my total self with her is an absolute breath of fresh air. I am SO thankful to the Lord for this life-long friendship. She is a gift to me straight from the Lord above and I'm still learning from her after all these years. Next time we get together S, I'm packing my overnight bag and staying in your cozy basement :). Hope to see you again soon!
Y'all come back now. Ya here?
******************************************************************************
To remember:
Logan and I were playing Candy Land together yesterday. I kept smelling something "powdery". I had no idea where the smell was coming from. After about 5 minutes or so I said "Logan, what is that powder smell? Do you smell it?". His response "Oh yeah mom. That's me. I put on your deodorant". We laughed and laughed. Even more hilarious... he puts the deodorant in the crook of his arm instead of his arm pit.





No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love, love, love for you to leave your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog.
~ Erin McG