Monday, July 16, 2012

Singing to my sweetie

I can't remember when it started exactly... maybe 6 months ago... maybe more. It has quickly become one of my favorite parts of the day. When the house is quiet and I'm holding her in the crook of my arm. Kinda like I did for the first 5 months of her life. It's just her and I. Looking in to each other's eyes, whispering, smiling and singing sweetly. Sometimes it's just me and sometimes she joins in. I'll never forget the night she joined in for the first time. My heart was immediately filled with utter and pure happiness. My mind thought how big her Heavenly Father must be smiling at her. I didn't know how on earth she learned the words to the hymns I had been singing to her. She seemed too little for it to be sinking in, BUT, it sure did. We first started with "Jesus Loves Me" and "Rock-a-bye my baby" but I wanted there to be more. After reading a post of one of my favorite blogs found here, I thought I would expand my night time song repertoire. You're never too young to start hearing the loving promises of your Heavenly Father, right? Right.
 Raegan with her cousin Jon

Our process begins with teeth brushing. Mommy takes the first turn. Then we read 3, or maybe 7 books. I have trouble saying "No" when you are so sweetly saying "One more, mommy". Then I lean you in to the crook of my arm and tell you it's time for singing. I ask you what you want to hear. "How about "Because He Lives" I'll say?" and you say "Uh Huh" and then I go about singing. Then I ask you again, "How about...?". Sometimes you say "Nuh Uh, with the pacifier firmly placed in your mouth. You definitely have an opinion and you know what songs you are in the mood for. We usually sing about 4 songs. "I Love You Lord", "Because He Lives", "Jesus Loves Me" and "Jesus Loves the Little Children" is your current, favorite song list.


I love how calm it makes her. How I can feel the weight of her body in my arms, her breath rising and falling, life... the precious life that the Lord Himself gave to me. The fact that He thinks I'm worthy enough to receive such a precious gift brings tears to my eyes. She's beautiful, she's His and for a little while... she's mine too.


My secret hope is that I can freeze this moment in time. Where she will always be small enough to be held in my arms, snuggled and kissed until I am satisfied and innocent enough to freely and boldly sing "I love you Lord and I lift my voice...".


I love you more than words can express my sweet girl. You are a precious, precious gift!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, love for you to leave your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog.

~ Erin McG