Friday, August 6, 2010

He's cares about the little things too

For 3 years, 1 month and 26 days my son has thoroughly enjoyed his pacifier. It has lulled him to sleep, soothed him when his tummy ached, comforted him when he hurt himself or got shots at the doctors and calmed him when for some reason I could not. It has been a friend to both him and I and I was dreading the day when I would have to forcibly separate them. He was so attached to the thing that that is what it would have had to have been... a forcible, nasty, temper tantrum inducing, sobbing until the point of exhaustion hijacking. My husband and I have been talking about doing this for months. With me being pregnant and exhausted most of the time I just couldn't imagine having to deal with sleepless nights or afternoons that our son wouldn't nap because he didn't have his beloved "pa". I have been putting it off and putting it off, refusing to set a date to begin what in my mind was going to be the most traumatic experience of my young sons life. The Lord knew however that this was a great concern of mine. It was on my mind and heart most days and I shared it with Him. Most moms I know don't ever want to bring hurt or anguish to their children, even if it will eventually be good for them. It's hard. One of the hardest parts of being a mom.

Well this past Tuesday it was almost nap time. Logan was helping me do some organizing in my bedroom and I mentioned to him that it was about time to lay down for a rest. I don't know what came over me but I said "Hey Logan, would you like to try going to sleep without your "pa"?" You can imagine my shock and surprise when he said... "SURE!!". I couldn't even believe it. I said "Okay then! Let's do it and when you wake up from your nap mommy will have a very special surprise for you." He wanted to know what it was so I told him he could have some Fun dip. You know, the candy where you lick a sugared stick only to then dip it in to another powdered/flavored form of sugar. This excited him greatly and he was on board. I snuck out of the room terrified that he was going to burst in to tears at any moment and demand his precious "pa", knowing that I didn't have the strength to say no. But, by the grace of God he said nothing. It took him quite a while to fall asleep but indeed he did, without the help of his pacifier.

We are now on Day 3 of the "PA" eradication and things are going FAR better than I could have ever, ever imagined. I love how the Lord works in these seemingly small (but to me HUGE) worries of our lives. He took something that I was feeling so anxious about and made it a peaceful and easy experience for my little one and I am SO thankful and grateful. God is so good!!

1 comment:

  1. I randomly came across your blog and read the pacifier post. It made my heart smile. Being a mom is hard, but there is such peace in knowing we are covered by grace daily. And we are huge ball fans, love the baseball paintings!

    ReplyDelete

I would love, love, love for you to leave your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog.

~ Erin McG