Friday, December 5, 2008
Decking the Halls and Feeling Guilty
I'm smack dab in the middle of decorating my Christmas tree and have been overcome with guilt. I, for the most part, really enjoy hanging up the ornaments and getting the lights, beads and ribbon as perfectly spaced apart as I can. This year however is different. Since Scott and I have been married I've been buying, giving and receiving special ornaments. I have 3 huge and full boxes of ornaments. 1 of those boxes contain all of the "special" ornaments that people have given me or ones that I've bought that have extra special meaning. I always hang that box of ornaments first. I'm not even a third of the way through and I cannot stop thinking about my sister Laura. With each special ornament I pick out of the box and carefully try and decide where to hang it, I'm reminded that this Christmas my sister has none of these special things as a result of the fire. She, for years, had been collecting The Wizard of Oz ornaments. Each year my Aunt Paula would buy her a new one as they are pretty expensive. We also shared some of the same ornaments. The garlic bulb that represented the Sicilian in us, the Waterford Crystal star that Scott and I got her on our trip to Ireland, the "My First Christmas" ornaments of all 3 of her boys. It's all gone. I know it's just "things" but those things had meaning to her and as I decorate my tree today I mourn her loss. I wish I had plenty of money so I could try my best and reclaim at least a few of the special things she once had. I am going to stop and say an extra prayer for her that the Lord will comfort her and give her His peace and joy this difficult holiday season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Re,
ReplyDeleteI don't generally check all your blog's but I am really glad I found this one. I think it will be hard for Laura this year, especially without all of her "special" Christmas stuff. You're thoughts and time of reflection is really tender. Thank you for sharing it.
I love you,
Carin
Erin-
ReplyDeleteI don't know much about her special Christmas stuff but I do know it will be very hard for her and we do have her in our prayers.
I too thought of her last weekend when we were putting up our real tree. It is so sad and I pray her and the boys somehow feel a comfort and a peace like they never have before!!